Sunday, May 21, 2017

Garden Apron

I've been out of commission for a while tending to skin cancer but I am back to my sewing machine and made a garden apron!
I love to garden and since I live in Michigan, it is a very short gardening season.  One of my biggest challenges when gardening has always been I lose my tools as I go.  I set them down in the grass and then spend 10 minutes looking for them.  I've been thinking about the apron for a couple of years actually but now that I'm retired, I have plenty of time to make everything!
I spent time looking online for a pattern but nothing fit my needs.  I realized that I've been sewing for decades and that I can do this!  So I did!  I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

The back is made out of denim from the legs of jeans I made into shorts for my granddaughter.  The rest of the fabric is scraps from my stash.  The webbing across the top is also a scrap leftover from a lunch tote I made.

The main piece is 10 by 17(wide).  I took my tools to the sewing table to decide how deep to make the pockets and how big to make the hooks on the webbing.  I made 4 pockets and 5 hooks.  There is even a spot for my cell phone.  I did interface the front pocket and waistband with SF101 to give them stability.

This is the first time in a loooong time that I did not have to UNsew a portion of the project.  It came together exactly how I imagined!

No comments:

Post a Comment