Saturday, November 11, 2017

#Bloglikecrazy Sew what's it worth?

#Bloglikecrazy
Sew what's it worth?

I spent Friday night and Saturday at the Saline Craft Show, at Saline Middle School in Saline, Michigan.  We sister-in-law and brother-in-law have had a booth there each year for the past 5 years.  My brother-in-law, Ray, does wood scroll saw work and make beautiful wood pieces that he sells.  We, being newly retired and free with our time, went to help them set up and run the booth.  This gave us the opportunity to spend time with people we really like but rarely actually see because they live on the other side of the state, 2 1/2 hours away. 

While working at their booth, Gail & I began to discuss selling our sewing at a booth.  We wandered the show looking at others sewn items gauging if they were having selling success and wondering what we would sell our items for. 

I like to sew and have sold my work before (mostly because it began to take over my house).  I'm not sure I can do productive sewing and am afraid it would take all the joy out of my sewing and creating.  I enjoy the challenge of figuring out new patterns and I love to see how flat fabric can become a multi-dimensional "thing" that has use in my life.  I just don't know how to put a value on what I sew. 
These are two of the new minikin patterns I've made recently.  Lots of fun figuring out how to make them (in fact, I messed up on the polka dot one and the lining became the outside). 

Sew what are they worth?  Is there any real monetary value on the enjoyment I get from figuring out how to make something work?  Should I even dip my toe into that pond?

No comments:

Post a Comment